FAQ - ASU Mountain Home Campus
Creating Opportunities Image


How do I apply?

There are two ways to apply. You may apply online by clicking here or click here to print an application that can be returned to the Office of Admissions, Roller Hall, 3rd floor, or mailed to 1600 South College Street, Mountain Home, AR 72653.

Is there an application fee?


What other documents do I need to send with my application?

Please review our Student Admissions Checklist for additional documents needed.

How do I know if I have been accepted?

ASUMH has an open door admission policy, which means that all students are accepted after completing an application, regardless of test scores. Additional documents are required to become admitted and enroll in classes (see previous question). Once all required documents are received, the Office of Admissions will notify you by mail. At this time you will receive your student identification number and be assigned an advisor.

Do I need to take a test to get into the college?

Yes. We require our students take the ACT, SAT, COMPASS, or ASSET tests. The COMPASS exam is administered in the Schliemann Learning Center, Dryer Hall, 2nd floor, for $20 payable to the Cashier, Roller Hall, 3rd floor. To schedule an appointment to take the COMPASS Exam, call the Schliemann Learning Center at 870-508-6173.

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

The first step in applying for financial aid is completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application can be obtained by visiting http://fafsa.ed.gov.  For more information regarding financial aid, click here.

What is ASUMH’s financial aid code?


What is the difference among a certificate of proficiency, a technical certificate, an associate’s degree, a bachelor’s degree, and a master’s degree?

The differences include the amount of time it takes to complete each program, the earning potential associated with each program, and the amount of education obtained. Each program is individualized, and obtaining a higher degree does not necessarily mean higher income potential.  The following chart provides estimates for the time required to complete the program levels offered on the ASUMH campus:

Certificate of Proficiency

1 semester

Technical Certificate

12 to 18 months

Associate Degree

2 to 3 years

Bachelor Degree

4 to 5 years

Masters Degree

6 to 8 years

What does it cost to attend ASUMH?

Perhaps the greatest benefit at ASUMH is its value. Few universities offer a quality education at such a financial value. The link below will take you to a tuition calculation that will show the approximate costs for Arkansas residents in the 2013-2014 academic year (nine months) as a full-time student (12 credit hours):

Tuition Calculator

* Estimated costs are based on enrollment in 12 credit hours and do not include a $25.00 lab fee charged with most science classes and a $25/credit hour online fee for all Internet and Internet assisted courses. Book/supply costs are estimates and vary depending on program of study. Out-of-state residents are charged $153.00 per hour.

In-state tuition rates are extended to residents of all the contiguous counties bordering Arkansas. International students should refer to the International Student Packet for tuition costs. ASU graduates and their dependents qualify for Arkansas resident tuition regardless of current place of residence. For information on additional fees click here.

How do I know if I qualify for in-state tuition?

For fee purposes, a legal resident of Arkansas is a person who has lived in Arkansas for the six consecutive months prior to the beginning of the term or semester for which the fees are paid. Arkansas residents and residents of all of the contiguous counties bordering Arkansas may claim in-state status for residency purposes.  Students should contact the Office of the Registrar at 870-508-6104 for more details.

What is the deadline to pay for tuition?

The last day to pay for each semester is available on the academic calendar. To view the academic calendar please click here.

How will my classes from my previous college transfer into ASUMH?

There are several ways to determine if your classes from a previous college will transfer into ASUMH. If the institution is in Arkansas you can check transferability through the Arkansas Department of Higher Education’s Website at http://acts.adhe.edu.

For institutions outside of Arkansas or courses not listed on the Arkansas Department of Higher Education Website, transferability must be confirmed through the Office of the Registrar. To have transfer hours officially assessed, students must be enrolled at ASUMH.

Will classes I take at ASUMH transfer to another school?

Course equivalencies are important to any student who is interested in continuing his/her education past the associate level. In order to make this process easier for you, the Arkansas Course Transfer System has provided us with transfer equivalency guides for schools within the state. Visit http://acts.adhe.edu to check the equivalency between ASU-Mountain Home and Arkansas's two and four-year universities.

  • In most cases an ASU-Mountain Home Associate of Arts degree satisfies all general education requirements. However, it is important to verify transferability with your chosen university.

  • Some bachelor degrees require additional freshman/sophomore-level courses pertaining to the specific field of study. Some of the courses may be taken as electives while completing your Associate of Arts. Verifying the required courses and transferability can save you time and money.

  • State universities accept ASU-Mountain Home’s 44 semester hour core curriculum as meeting their general education requirements if the student completes the A.A. Degree.

  • Usually, only course grades of “C” or higher are allowed to transfer.

What programs are offered at ASU-Mountain Home?

ASUMH offers nine associate’s degree, seven technical certificates, and 10 certificates of proficiency.  ASU-Jonesboro also offers several bachelor degrees and master degrees here on the Mountain Home campus.  For more information about specific ASUMH programs contact the Office of Recruiting at 870-508-6262 or complete a request for information by clicking here.   For more information about bachelor’s and master’s programs, call the ASU-Jonesboro programs office on the ASUMH campus at 870-508-6170.

What is Arkansas Career Pathways?

Career Pathways is a new program that helps provide free career training and college classes to those who qualify.  Pathways can also provide assistance for things like child care, transportation, career counseling, and job searching.  For more information or to see if you qualify for assistance from Pathways, contact the ASUMH Career Pathways office at 870-508-6201 or visit the Website at http://www.arpathways.com .

Does ASUMH accept College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) or Advanced Placement (AP) credit?

Yes, ASUMH accepts CLEP and AP credit. For specific information, contact the Office of the Registrar at 870-508-6104.

Does ASUMH have dorms/residence halls?

ASUMH does not have residence halls on campus. However, the Office of Student Services maintains a database of local apartments and other housing options in the Mountain Home area.  For more information, call 870-508-6136.

What student activities are available outside of class?

There are currently 15 student organizations on campus, including service, academic, religious and just-for-fun organizations. These groups provide students with the opportunity to network and learn, even outside of the classroom. In addition, there are numerous activities planned throughout the academic year. To learn more about the activities offered at ASUMH, visit the Student Services page by clicking here.

Does ASUMH have athletics?

ASUMH does not sponsor any organized sports.  However, the Office of Student Services organizes several intramural sporting events each semester.  Contact 870-508-6136 for more information.

How can I get more information about Federal Work-Study or part-time jobs?

Work-Study positions are coordinated through the Financial Aid Office, located on the third floor of Roller Hall, or call 870-508-6195 for more information.  Part-time employment postings are handled by the Office of Student Services, located on the second floor of McClain Hall, or call 870-508-6136.

May I visit the ASU-Mountain Home campus before I am a student?

YES!  We feel that visiting our campus is the best way to see what being a student at ASUMH is really like.  When you schedule an individual visit with us, we can explore your needs and goals one-on-one and find a program that fits you best.  You may even talk with faculty about programs that interest you.  Contact the Office of Recruiting at 870-508-6262 to schedule a visit or click here to schedule a visit online.

How do I get to the ASU-Mountain Home campus?

ASUMH is located at 1600 S. College Street, Mountain Home, AR.